About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Reds Win First Replay Review






The suspended game is about to restart in the seventh inning, in part, because Bryan Price was successful in his first replay challenge.

Todd Frazier hit a 438' home run by hitting the ball on the nose. He reached on a double in the fourth inning by hitting a ball off the nose.

Frazier lofted a ball down the line in shallow rightfield.  Pirates' rightfielder Travis Snider was hit in the face by the ball as he slid across the foul line.  Firstbase umpire, Brian Knight, signaled foul.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
As the Pittsburgh trainer and manager Clint Hurdle went to check on Snider's well being, Price had a chance to review the play.  Replays showed that the ball hit Snider in fair territory.  The call was reversed and Frazier trotted to second with a double.  He later scored on home run by Ryan Ludwick.

"We couldn't see the play from the dugout," Price said.  "We knew we had time when they went to check on Snider.  By the time they were finished we got the thumbs up to challenge the play."

The Reds assigned Sam Grossman to monitor close plays.

"I thought it was fair," Frazier said. "I told (firstbase coach Billy) Hatcher that I thought it was fair. Billy said, 'It hit him in the head'. I said, "I'm not talking to you." I was yelling at Jay (Bruce) and I saw Homer saying something. The Pirates' catcher said, "That might be fair." I told Phil Cuzzi (the homeplate umpire) and he said that he didn't think so.  I said, "Ah you're from New Jersey. How would you know?""

Frazier thought he would get a single.

"They gave (Yadier) Molina a single and he hit it off the wall in center," Frazier said.

"I'm not in favor of instant replay," Frazier said. "At first I was but it takes the human element out of the game."

No comments:

Post a Comment