About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Reds Roll Cubs Rollover



http://donatelifeohio.org/



The Reds put themselves in position for the first five-game sweep of any team  with a 4-1 win. Not since 1976 when the  Reds' beat the San Diego Padres in five straight in 1976, have they swept a five-game series.  The Reds swept the Cubs in five straight when Hack Wilson roamed centerfield for Chicago in 1931.

The Reds turned a two-out walk to Brayan Pena, the firstbaseman du jour, and a double by Ramon Santiago, who gave Todd Frazier a breather, into a second inning run.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Alfredo Simon, who became the only 12-game winner in the National League, allowed Anthony Rizzo's 20th home run of the season and third of the series but nothing else.  He stranded a pair of Cubs in the first and second innings but rolled through 13 straight Cubs before issuing a walk to Wellington Castillo, the last batter he faced.  "The situation dictated the pitching change," Bryan Price said.  "Simon pitched a great game. He had 118 pitches. At that point in time the Cubs are like us, playing with a four-man bench. It made sense to force their hand."

Reds caricatures for sale fstopjd@fuse.net

The Reds got to young Dallas Beeler, who is part of the Cubs rebuilding project, since trading two starters earlier this month.

Simon wasn't named to the All-Star game but really wants to go and has been told to standby in case someone can't pitch. This was his last start before the break and he could easily pitch next Tuesday.

"I have the numbers. I would like to pitch in it. I'm happy with the way I've pitched.  It is no surprise.  I have the arm. I have good stuff. I just have to do my best," Simon said.

The fifth inning started out tamely for Beeler.  He got Santiago to pop out to the catcher.  Zack Cozart extended his hitting streak to six games with a bloop single.  Simon bunted him to secondbase.  Billly "the hero" Hamilton increased his batting average with runners in scoring position to .367 when he drilled an RBI hit into the right centerfield gap. It eluded CF Justin Ruggiano and Hamilton rounded third with a triple.  Skip Schumaker walked.  Brandon Phillips drove Hamilton home with his second hit.  Jay Bruce drove in Schumaker with a single.

"I wanted to go home but you have to listen to him (thirdbase coach Steve Smith).  I always think I can make it.  This time it would have taken a perfect throw."

Manny Parra relieved Simon and fanned Nate Schierholtz.  Jonathon Broxton extended his scoreless appearance streak to seven games with a scoreless eighth.

Hamilton and Phillips left the game in the eighth.  Hamilton with a tight right hamstring and Phillips with a sprained left thumb.  X-rays on Phillips were negative.

"I felt the same thing I felt in spring training," Hamilton said.  "I told them about it today.  I felt it batting right-handed.  It's a couple day thing.  I will see what happens tomorrow. I messed it up in spring training it came back a couple days ago, knowing what happened the last time."

Aroldis Chapman saved his 19th game in 21 tries while striking out Junior Lake, Justin Ruggiano and Mike Olt.  It was the 38th straight game in which Chapman struck out at least one batter.


No comments:

Post a Comment