About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Homer Bailey Was Hit On the Jaw But The Indians Took One Off The Chin



http://donatelifeohio.org/


If the 2014 season crashes and burns around the Cincinnati Reds, they will take solace that they are the best team in Ohio.

Homer Bailey, a Texan, rounded up the Cleveland Indians with seven shutout innings in a 4-0 Reds' win.  The Reds spotted the Indians the first game on Monday in Cleveland but swept the last three.

"It is one of those weird things where we haven't had much success up there," Bryan Price said.  "But Johnny pitched a real good game (completer game 2er) on Monday and between Latos and Bailey they pitched great games."

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Newcomer Kristopher Negron, impersonating a hot hitting Brandon Phillips at secondbase drove in five runs in the series by hitting .538 with two doubles and a home run.  He was named Ohio Cup MVP.

"Thank everybody for voting for me," Negron said.  "It is nice to be acknowledged for something like that.  I've been working on the same approach with Donnie (hitting coach Long). Getting a handful of at bats in a row are helpful."

Negron had a good spring but when the final roster was announced out of Goodyear, Arizona, Negron's name was not on it.  He was sent to Louisville.

"I felt good in spring," Negron said.  "When I got sent down I let it get to my head a little bit.  I had never lasted that long in spring training.  I was really fighting to get that last spot.  When May came around, I had to really dial in and really grind out at bats. I had a pretty good month of May and been able to carry it over every since."

Billy Hamilton came alive in the fourth game.  The rookie singled in the first and took third when Jay Bruce's slow groundball had to be tracked down in the shortstop hole by thirdbaseman Lonnie Chisenhall.  On Chisenhall's throw to first, Hamilton took off for the uncovered base at third.  Carlos Santana's return throw bounced into the stands.  Hamilton scored and Bruce was awarded third.  Ryan Ludwick singled Bruce home.

Bailey singled with two outs in the second inning.  Hamilton hit a long line fly off Cleveland starter T.J. House.  Off the bat, Hamilton was thinking inside-the-park home run.  He ran through Steve Smith's stop sign and the Indians ran him down for the third out.
Reds caricatures for sale fstopjd@fuse.net

Negron singled home Todd Frazier with the fourth run with his second hit of the game, improving his 16-game average to .310.

"Negron is starting to assert himself," Price said.  "Getting that RBI is important; to keep adding on and get that separation."

Bailey was hit hard in the first two innings but benefited from shots right at fielders. He settled in and recorded allowed one hit over the next 17 batter.  Jose Ramirez reached base when a line drive hit Bailey in the jaw, leaving a Red mark.  Frazier at firstbase couldn't handle Bailey's throw from his knees.

"I've been bit harder by bed bugs in Saltillo (Mexico)," Bailey said.  "I had to get the light and the squiggly things out of my head.  I almost caught it in my arm.  I think Frazier was surprised that I threw it.  If you have to take one off the jaw, you take one off the jaw."

"I just tried to get them in the dugout as quick as I could. We've been hitting pretty well the last couple of games," Bailey said.

Manny Parra pitched a scoreless eighth.  Jonathan Broxton stuck out two in a scoreless ninth to send Buddy LaRosa for more pizza boxes.

Bailey got off to a slow start.  His ERA has been on a steady decline since it was 5.44 on May 17.  Currently it has dropped to a season-low 3.71.

"Getting such a bad start early,  put a damper on things," Bailey said.  "I've always been a second half performer.  I heard somebody say that second half is a direct reflection of your off-season. I don't think there is anyone that works harder than I do in the winter."

No comments:

Post a Comment