About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Reds String Two Hits Together To Support Mike Leake




http://donatelifeohio.org/


The trick is not to get two hits in a game.  It is to string two of them together in the same inning.

The result was the lone run in a 1-0 win.

The win stopped the Reds' seven-game losing streak.

"We haven't won since last Friday so it's been over a week," Bryan Price said. "It wasn't just the seven in a row, it was the gut wrenching fashion in which we lost them."

The Reds had two hits in 12 innings in a 3-1 loss on Friday but after chalking up one hit in the first five innings Saturday, Mike Leake doubled to open the sixth inning against Ervin Santana, went to third on Billy Hamilton's bunt and scored on Brandon Phillips single.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Leake was mowing down Braves' hitters in his turn on the mound.  Emilio Bonafacio singled to open the game but catcher Brayan Pena threw Bonafacio out trying to steal. Leake retired 10 batters in a row before walking Freddie Freeman. He retired another seven straight before Andrelton Simmons led off the seventh with a double.  Leake struck out Freeman and Justin Upton but walked Chris Johnson and Evan Gattis.

"I went out to talk to him to see if he could get La Stella," Price said.  "He was very honest with me which I appreciate. He told me, "I could probably get him but I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't out of gas." That was the decision of the game, him being honest.  It would be bad if you find out he's out of gas after a two-run single."
Reds caricatures for sale fstopjd@fuse.net

Price brought out the heavy artillery in 278 lb, Jumbo Diaz.  The big right-hander got Tommy La Stella to hit into a force play to escape the threat.

It was a hard hit line drive right at Cozart.

"It was hit hard.  The one hit right at you is a harder play than the ones you have to dive for," Cozart said.  "I knew Gattis was running so I was lining it up with my body.  Even if I just knocked it down, I had time."

Jonathan Broxton survived a two-out double in the eighth.  He has held opponents scoreless in 42 of his 48 appearances.

Aroldis Chapman earned his 27th save in 29 attempts.

"Chapman really wanted the opportunity," Price said. "After working back-to-back days and two innings last night. He said he was ready. I was really impressed by that.

Chapman struck out the side. It was the 11th time this season that he's had three strikeouts in an inning.

Chapman has allowed 37 base runners (hits, walks, hit batters) in 42 1/3 innings while striking out 83.





No comments:

Post a Comment