About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Kristopher Negron Shows He Belongs




http://donatelifeohio.org/

By all accounts the Cincinnati Reds season has bottomed out, yet from the deep hole the Reds have found a diamond in the rough.

"I hate to say diamond in the rough but he is 28-years old and been the minor leagues a long time," Bryan Price said.  Price should know because his playing talent did not allow a career on the field.

Negron came to the Reds from the Boston Red Sox in 2009 in exchange for Alex Gonzalez in a late season salary dump.  Negron was a seventh round pick in 2006 and once considered a bright enough prospect for the Reds to send him to the Arizona Fall League, where teams try to test players against the best among their peers.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Negron fell by the wayside, hitting .244 in eight minor league seasons.  He was with the Reds briefly in 2012 when the Reds were strapped for players but played in four games, getting one hit in just four at bats.

The Northern California raised Negron was removed from the 40-man roster and was unclaimed on waivers.  He spent all of 2013 in Louisville, now thought of as a fill-in player.

A trip to the Puerto Rican Winter League at Caguas, where he played for Alex Cora turned things around for Negron.

"I felt I had a really good spring training," Negron said. "Winter ball got me ahead of the curve."

Negron had a good spring, playing all over the infield and some in the outfield.

"He opened our eyes in spring training and continued to do so with his opportunity here," Price said. "I think he's done enough to be considered part of the team next year.  A big part of it is he's shown that he can play so many positions.  He's added a speed component, a pinch hitting element to strengthen the bench and he's become a reliable starter.  We want to continue to work on small ball, situational hitting, bunting and the hit-and-run. He's a very heads up player and doesn't take anything for granted."

Negron was left off the opening day roster.  Baseball economics rather than performance was responsible for his assignment to Louisville rather than Cincinnati.  Ramon Santiago was signed to back up Zack Cozart.

Negron admitted to allowing the demotion to ruin his attitude for a month but then he started to pick up te pace, playing mostly shortstop for the Bats. 

"I let it get to me for a month," Negron said.  "I kept in touch with Alex and talk to him all the time."

Negron's willingness to do whatever it takes to stay in the big leagues led to the selection of his contract on July 10 when the Reds were strapped for players with Brandon Phillips injury to his left thumb.
Reds caricatures for sale fstopjd@fuse.net

When Negron packs for a road trip he packs his bag with two infield gloves, two outfield gloves, a catcher's mitt and mask, the latter belong to Neftali Soto. 

"I warm up pitchers between innings," Negron said.  "I wear the mask because I don't want those sinkers to hit me in the mouth.  My parents spent too much money on my teeth."

Negron would even catch in a game if that's what it took to improve his value to the team.

"I caught in Little League," Negron said.  "If the opportunity comes up, I will gladly do it."

When told of Price's remarks about the positive impression that Negron has demonstrated since his arrival, Negron vowed he wouldn't change.

"I'm going to keep working and going about my business."

No comments:

Post a Comment