About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Reds Have Jake Of All Trades With Jake Elmore




http://donatelifeohio.org/



The Reds are looking for players that can play multiple positions.  Kristopher Negron has played everywhere and very well since his promotion from Louisville.

The Reds picked up another player without fanfare that may be even more versatile.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Jake Elmore is one of the 10 September call ups.  The 27-year old native of Dothan, Alabama was picked up on waivers on August 2nd after he was designated for assignment on July 31.  The Athletics traded for him at the end of spring training from the Chicago White Sox but was the victim of the Athletics trade deadline moves.


Last season Elmore was with the Houston Astros.  He was told right away that he would be the emergency catcher behind starter Jason Castro and back up Carlos Corporan.

"I caught in high school and was recruited as a catcher," Elmore said.  "I told them at Wallace College that I wanted to be moved to the infield to save my knees, save my speed. But I liked catching because you're in every play. It is probably the most fun.  You're in every pitch."

Elmore was the 34th pick of the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2008 draft after he had transferred to Arizona State.

Elmore mostly played shortstop.  He played a lot of leftfield and a fair amount of secondbase.  When he wasn't doing that, he would catch bullpens. 

Bo Porter, the Astros manager, observed his bullpen sessions and put it in the back of his mind.

One day against Texas, Castro was the designated hitter and Corporan was starting behind the plate, when a foul ball hit Corporan in the mask.

"He finished the inning but after it they told him he was done with a concussion," Elmore said.  "They didn't want to give up the designated hitter."

The game got out of hand.

'I went out and pitched the eighth," Elmore said of the 16-5 loss that day.

Elmore retired all three batters he faced in the inning.

Porter was not afraid to go to Elmore in a pinch.

"One day in Oakland it was the eighth inning of a one-run game," Elmore said. "Bo came to me and said are you ready to make your debut at firstbase.  Brett Wallace was playing first and I pinch ran for him."

There have been a novelty in the Major Leagues of having players play one inning of a game in each defensive position Cesar Tovar did it for the Minnesota Twins and Bert Campanaris did it for the Oakland Athletics.

Elmore is not interested.
Reds caricatures for sale fstopjd@fuse.net

"I don't know," Elmore said.  "If my team had clinched the division.  It might be fun but you have to keep the integrity of the game.  It is certainly not something I would asked to do.  That's just for show."

Elmore has no problem filling in where there is a legitimate need, however.

He carries an infield glove and an outfield glove on the road.

"I'd have to borrow a firstbaseman's glove and catching equipment," Elmore said.  "The Astros said that if one of the catchers went down, I'd be in.  This organization hasn't mentioned it."

No comments:

Post a Comment