About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Deep Hall Of Fame Class Gets Elected




http://donatelifeohio.org/



Craig Biggio, Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson and John Smoltz were elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame for 2015.

It is the first time since 1955 that four players were elected at one time. It was the first time ever that three pitchers were elected in the same class.

Biggio is one of 28 players in baseball history with 3,000 or more hits (3,060). He hit 668 doubles in his career and led the league in doubles three times.  Biggio was drafted out of Seton Hall University in New Jersey.  He was the first pick of the Houston Astros in the 1987 draft.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Martinez was the top pitcher of his era. He is the first Hall of Famer born in the 1970's.

Randy Johnson was 6'10" tall but Martinez is generously listed at 5'11" and was told he was too small.

"I had a chip on my shoulder," Martinez told the panel of the Baseball Network.  "The umpires knew I had a chip on my shoulder and would tell me to keep it clean.  But when I was on the mound, I was taller than everyone else."

"I was a fan of Mario Soto growing up," Martinez said.

Martinez had a record of 219-100 with a 2.93 career ERA.  He completed 46 of his 409 starts.


I once asked Ken Griffey Jr. (who will be on his first ballot next year) who was the best pitcher he faced.

"One word.  Pedro," was his answer.

Smoltz completes the Atlanta Braves super rotation in the Hall.  Teammates Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux were elected last year along with his manager Bobby Cox.

Smoltz was drafted in the 22nd round in 1985 by the Detroit Tigers.  Smoltz is a Michigan native. The Tigers traded Smoltz to the Atlanta Braves for Doyle Alexander in 1987.  He broke in with the Braves in 1988.

Bobby Cox made the trade while he was the Braves general manager, then returned to the bench as manager.

Smoltz won 213 games and saved another 154.  He started 481 games and relieved in another 242 games.

Randy Johnson won 303 games and struck out an astounding 4,875 batters in 4,135 and 1/3 innings.

No comments:

Post a Comment