About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, February 20, 2015

Devin Mesoraco Looking For Max Workload



http://donatelifeohio.org/



Devin Mesoraco wants to catch.

He wants to catch a lot.

"I want to catch 161 games and take a day off after we clinch the playoffs," Mesoraco told reporters on the first day of workouts for pitchers and catchers.

That is just fine with manager Bryan Price, although the number will be closer to 140 games.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"I anticipate him having a higher workload," Price said. "I can be more random with the use of Brayan Pena, who backs up Mesoraco.

The 26-year old set a career-high with 114 games last season while having his best season in the majors with a .273 batting average, 25 home runs and 80 runs batted in.  He started the season on the disabled list with a strained oblique, then spent another 19-day stretch on the DL with a strained left hamstring.

The first round pick in the 2007 draft, signed a four-year contract for $28 million on January 26.

Mesoraco intends to earn his salary.

"As many times as they want to write my name in the lineup, is fine with me," Mesoraco said. "I want to play every day."

Pena developed a rapport with ace, Johnny Cueto but Mesoraco will catch him more this season.

"Johnny Cueto wasn't a success because of who caught him," Mesoraco said. "I caught him when Brayan played firstbase for (injured) Joey (Votto).  Cueto has a different way of doing things but after a game or two we were on the same page."

A couple writers suggested that to keep Mesoraco's bat in the lineup, he should learn another position.

Both Price and Mesoraco were luke warm on the idea.

"It wouldn't be terrible for him to field some ground balls but right now with Joey Votto at firstbase and Todd Frazier at thirdbase, there won't be a lot of opportunities for that," Price said.

Mesoraco doesn't even own a glove besides his catcher mitt.

"I could order one, I guess," Mesoraco said.  "I trained hard in the off-season to be able to catch. All of the best catchers, like Yadier Molina are behind the plate a lot.  I'd like to catch both games of a double header."

Mesoraco played other positions as a youth.

"I was one of the better athletes.  I played some shortstop, centerfield.  I was pretty fast for that level," Mesoraco said.  "I would try another position but there won't be much time to spend working on it.  I have to catch the pitchers down here a lot to learn them."


No comments:

Post a Comment