About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Jason Marquis Wants To Continue His 20 Year Affair With Baseball




http://donatelifeohio.org/



It has been 20 years since Jason Marquis was drafted by the Atlanta Braves.

Marquis at 36 still loves the game.

"I love every part of the game of baseball," Marquis said. "I love hitting and my job of pitching."

Marquis hit .310 for the St. Louis Cardinals in 2005 while winning 13 games.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
The Reds were looking for a veteran pitcher as an alternative to younger pitchers that are competing for the two open starting spots in the Reds rotation.

"We targeted (Anthony) DeSclafani to start for us and we have Tony Cingrani, who has pitched well for us when healthy," Bryan Price said.  "We signed Marquis and Paul Maholm to compete.  Those are guys that are comfortable pitching in the big leagues,  Marquis has been very impressive."

Marquis is a known commodity, having competed against the Reds but he is coming off  "Tommy John" surgery.  He threw a bullpen for the Reds last spring but signed with Philadelphia, making nine starts for the Gulf Coast League Phillies and Triple A Lehigh Valley.  He was 4-1 with a 4.83 ERA.  The Phillies released him on August 31.

The Reds signed him to a minor league contract on January 20 with an invitation to spring training.

"In my mind, its my job to lose," Marquis said. "No disrespect to any of these guys but that's how I have to approach it.  I compete with myself."

The native of New York City and resident of Staten Island, has a 121-114 record in 14 Major League seasons.  He won 15 games twice in his career, with St. Louis in 2004 and Colorado in 2009, the last of a string of six season in which he won 11 games or more.

His last season in the majors was with the San Diego Padres in 2013.  He had a 9-5 record in 20 starts before tearing the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow in July.  He was placed on the disabled list and shut down for the season.

Marquis has been throwing all winter and did his research of teams that he wanted to pitch for, what situations would be best for him.

"You can't always rely on your agent," Marquis said.  "I did some research. I have known Walt Jocketty from my days in St. Louis.  Jim Riggleman (the Reds new thirdbase coach) was my manager in Washington. Dr. Kremchek did both of my surgeries. I looked at every team.  This team's top three starters with Homer Bailey healthy is pretty good.  A lot of people discount their lineup but it is very good.  I've had to face them."

Marquis wants to contribute and at the same time help the Reds' younger pitchers.

"Walt Jocketty was very upfront with us," Marquis said.  "I didn't come to play for the money.  I still love it. My family loves it and wants me to play."

No comments:

Post a Comment