About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Josh Harrison Princeton, UC Grad Signs Extension With Pirates








http://donatelifeohio.org/


Josh Harrison had to earn playing time in the Major Leaugues.

Originally drafted by the Chicago Cubs in the sixth round of the 2008 draft out of the University of Cincinnati where he played for three seasons

Harrison was a three-year letterman at Princeton High School as was his older brother Vince, who played professional baseball for five seasons.

Harrison had to prove that he could hit Major League pitching everyday. He was type cast as a utility player and the Pirates traded for him in July 30, 2009.  He toiled in the minor leagues for two seasons then made his debut against the New York Mets on May 31, 2011.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
On Wednesday, Harrison signed a four-year extension guaranteed for $27.3 million with options in 2019 and 2020 that could pay him up to $50 million.

"We have extended the contract of a tremendous player and tremendous human being," Pittsburgh general manager Neal Huntington said. "It took us time to realize that he could hit at this level. We moved him all around and he did everything we asked.  We think we have found a home for him (at thirdbase). He shows up with energy and grit and made the most of his opportunity."

Harrison always believed in himself and his family believed in him also.

"I'm excited to be a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates," Harrison said. "I'm blessed to play this game. I'm excited to sign with the Pirates in my hometown, so my family can be here."

Order Amazon at right


Harrison's father and mother attended as did his brother Sean.  His little daughter Mia Jade, kept calling for her daddy in the lap of her mother Brittney.

"I dreamed of this day since I was a little kid," Harrison said. "To be sitting here on the day I dreamed of in my hometown with my family, WOW!"

Harrison spent two season as a utility player for the Pirates. He was up and down between the big legues and the minor leagues in 2011. He spent the entire 2012 season with the big club, hitting .233 in 104 games. The next season he split time between Pittsburgh and Indianapolis, playing 60 with the Pirates, hitting .250. He played 64 at Indianapolis and hit .317.

Last season Harrison kicked the door down.

He began the season as a part-time player but by mid-season was in the lineup everyday. He hit so well and played such good defense that he was selected to play in the All-Star game, an announcement that also came while the Pirates were in his hometown.

Harrison finished second in the National League batting race with a .315 batting average. Justin Morneau of the Colorado Rockies edged him with a .319 average.

The 5'8' 195 lb, 27 year old, earned a starting job on opening day for the first time in his career. The Pirates and Harrison reached a deal on the off-day Tuesday.

"I have had doubters but I don't play for them, so they don't affect what I do," Harrison said. "I play for my family who have been behind me in good times and bad.  They've always had faith in me which gave me confidence. I love playing this game but it doesn't define me. My family does."

No comments:

Post a Comment