About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Indians Ambush Anthony DeSclafani Give Chief Corey Kluber Rare Run Support





Cory Kluber got a season worth of runs to work with in the first innings.

Anthony DeSclafani gave up singles to Jason Kipnis and Francisco Lindor to lead off the game. Michael Brantley followed them with his sixth home run before DeSclafani recorded the first out.

"Anthony didn't have his best command but he didn't back down. He's such a tough kid. I'm happy with the way he's handled himself," Bryan Price said.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"It wasn't the start I wanted coming out of the break," DeSclafani said.. "I had Moss 0 and 2. I have to make a better pitch.  I didn't have my timing early in the game. It's not an excuse.  Kipnis got his hit on a pitch up. Lindor hit a groundball, that's how baseball is. It found a hole. I left a pitch up to Brantly.  They came out swinging."

http://pro-ball.com/
The Indians piled on for a 9-4 win and claimed the Ohio Cup.

"After I gave up the three runs I had to keep my team in the game. I didn't do that," DeSclafani said.


Kluber, the reigning American Cy Young Award winner, is 4-10 with a 3.38 ERA because his run support has been paltry until tonight.  To wit, Kluber is 3-4 in games in which he has allowed two or fewer runs. He has done that in 10 of his 19 starts coming into the game.

The Reds appeared to have a big inning started when Brandon Phillips led off the game with a single.  Joey Votto doubled off the wall in right to put runners on second and third with no outs.  Todd Frazier bounced to the mound for one out. Jay Bruce hit a fly to right at medium depth. Phillips beat Brandon Moss' throw home but  Yan Gomes threw Votto out at third to end the inning.
Order Amazon at right


Lindor doubled in the third and scored on a double by Carlos Santana.  Moss broke an 0-for-21 slump by hitting his 15th home run. Kluber had three games full of runs to work with.

DeSclafani left after six innings.

Kluber pitched out of jams in the fourth and sixth.  The Reds had runners at first and second with no outs in the sixth. Kluber struck out Bruce and Marlon Byrd to end the threat.

"Kluber managed the game with men on base. Phillips and Votto were on a lot but he found his outs around them," Price said.

Yan Gomes hit a three-run homer off Nate Adcock to give Kluber an embarrassment of riches. It was his fourth of the season.

Kluber allowed three runs on seven hits in 7 2/3 innings.  Phillips and Votto combined for six hits with three apiece.  Bruce had the other hit off the Indians' ace.  Kluber was responsible for Phillips and Votto when Bruce hit a home run off Cody Allen.

Bruce drove in all four runs and ended the game with a .255 batting average, his highest mark since the second game of the season when he was 2-for-6.


Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120










No comments:

Post a Comment