About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Homer Bailey Throwing After Surgery






Quietly, Homer Bailey started a throwing program on or about September 3.

The injured, $105 million pitcher, is now the grizzled veteran of the Reds' pitching staff at the advanced age of 28.

He is a good four years older than the next pitcher in the Reds' "Kiddie Korp" rotation.  Bailey is throwing 75 pitches at 75 feet, just to make "clean throws."

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
The Reds are looking to Bailey to solidify the 2016 rotation with his veteran presence.  Despite his young age he has been in the organization for 10 years and has authored two no-hitters. He will take a 58-51 record in 168 starts into next season.  Bailey started just two games before his current injury and lost his only decision of 2015.

"We have to have a veteran starting pitcher in our rotation next season," Bryan Price said. "As much as Jeff (pitching coach Picco) and I can have influence.  We need a veteran pitcher who is in the clubhouse with the younger guys. Like Bronson (Arroyo) who led with a soft voice, Homer can needle the guys into doing what they need to do."
Order Amazon at right

Bailey reported to Price that he feels like he never had surgery which he had in early May.  He feels like he can throw his breaking pitches but is restricted from doing so right now.

Barring setbacks Bailey expects to be ready to pitch by his 29th birthday, May 8.

"I should be ready by early to mid May," Bailey said. "It was weeks before I could do everything I wanted to do except throw.  There are days I'm more sore, like I do every time I start throwing after a break from it. It is nothing out of the normal."

http://pro-ball.com/
Bailey will go to Austin, Texas near his home to continue his throwing program which runs through the end of November.  He will rest again until the end of December and start to throw to get ready for spring training.

No comments:

Post a Comment