About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Zack Cozart Works Toward Opening Day






Zack Cozart's 2015 season ended on June 10 with a misstep running out a ground ball.

Cozart tore ligaments and the biceps tendon in his right knee and had it surgically repaired. Cozart was off to a good start, hitting .258 with nine home runs and 28 RBI when the injury occurred.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"The positive was I worked my tail off last winter working on my swing and I know it paid off," said Cozart, who hit a career-low .221 with career-low four home runs and 38 RBI in 2014.

The Reds were 27-31 at the time he was injured, having suffered a nine-game losing streak in mid-May. The Reds defeated the Philadelphia Phillies the day he was hurt to complete a four-game winning streak.
Order Amazon at right

Cozart's fortunes and the Reds went downhill from there.  The Reds are 36-62 coming into the last six games of the season.

It has been hard for the 30-year old to be on the sidelines.

"It's been a tough year in general," Cozart said. "I don't like to see my teammates go out there and struggle. I like to compete."

Cozart has had over three months to rehab his knee.

http://pro-ball.com/
"The only thing I'm limited on is hard cuts," Cozart said. "I am running and doing agility drills. I am in on a full weight lifting program. I'm throwing. I should be able to do everything mid-November or early December. I will have a knee brace before Thanksgiving. I don't know how much I'll use it. Some guys like it and others feel like they don't need it once the knee stabilizes."

"I'm confident I will be full go by spring training," Cozart said. "It will be close to nine months since the surgery."



No comments:

Post a Comment