About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Xavier Crushes Wright State Now Prepare For Cincinnati




The Xavier Musketeers buried their neighbors from the north, the Wright State Raiders 90-55.

The 12th ranked Musketeers prepped for the crosstown shootout on Saturday with a solid game offensively and defensively to earn its ninth straight win to open the season.

Trevon Bluiett led all scorers and rebounders with 22 points and 11 rebounds.  His supporting cast of Myles Davis 13 points, J.P. Macura 12 points and Jalen Reynolds 10 provided the bulk of the offense.

Wright State came into the game fifth in the nation in 3-point shooting but made just five of 27 for a 18.5 percent.  Xavier's defense caused some of them but the Raiders missed shots they normally make.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"We missed some shots we usually make," Wright State coach Billy Donlon said.. "Xavier caused a lot of problems.  I credit them and Chris (coach Mack).  They play like the score is nothing to nothing. Chris doesn't get enough credit nationally.  They have been up by 30 points on their last four opponents.  We just have to play harder and get better."

Grant Benzinger, the Raiders sophomore guard out of Moeller High School, had a nightmare game.  He looked forward to playing his first college game in his backyard but ha picked up four fouls in the first 12 and a half minutes.

'It was tough," said Benzinger, who is the son of the former Cincinnati Reds firstbaseman. "We didn't want it to go that way. They played a great game. They hit some shots. I was really looking forward to coming back here. It didn't go like I envisioned."

Benzinger compared Xavier favorably to Kentucky.  The Raiders dropped a 79-63 decision at Rupp Arena on November 20

"I had a night like that last year at Bowling Green but I was a freshman," Benzinger said. "I have to do a better job. I want a better overall game. I felt good making those shots but then I picked up that fifth foul and it was like it didn't happen. We are a better team than this. We didn't perform. We let our offense affect our defense."

Benzinger finished the game with six points.  Michael Karena, who fouled out early, led Wright State with 10 points.

Xavier's defense kept the Raiders from getting into a groove.

"We played very well," Mack said.  "We are much better defensively this year.  Our zone helps us out. I like to call it our curveball.  There are going to be nights when we can't make a basket but defense will keep us in those games. I think our guys are beginning to realize that.  Tonight was a good example.  We missed a lot of shots early but offensive rebounds saved us.  We didn't let them score."

"Some teams lift weights," Donlon said.  "Xavier eats them."



No comments:

Post a Comment